Saturday, July 14, 2012

Crested serpent eagle (Spilornis cheela)

Spotted this beautiful bird of prey while driving. Had to stop to take some photos! Luckily I had my camera and lens with me since I was going birding with a friend (a new hobby I very recently acquired).

This bird was about 50 meters away and high up a dead tree out in the open. I’ve seen this bird in forested areas as well, where it often searches for reptiles such as lizards and snakes. And just a few days ago I believe I saw one flew by the back of my home!

The crested serpent eagle (Spilornis cheela) is a medium sized bird with a crest that reminds me of the head dress of some native American tribes. This one ruffled its feathers in the wind and I scrambled to get some shots of it with its crest feathers raised but pity those turned out soft or blurry.

The photos below are cropped down to about 15% of the original frame. Beautiful bird!

crested_serpent_eagle_sarawak_borneo
When we first saw it, it was facing us…

crested_serpent_eagle sarawak borneo 2
After preening for a bit, it turned around and moments later flew off into the jungle.

2 comments:

Ensurai said...

Very lovely shots..thanks for sharing...

Ensurai said...

Very lovely shots..thanks for sharing...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...