Thursday, February 4, 2010

Fujifilm F70EXR: dynamic range samples

It was very sunny this afternoon so I took the opportunity to snap some photos of my blooming Phalaenopsis hybrids. I wanted to try out the different DR settings on my new pocket zoom, the Fujifilm F70EXR. The headlining technology is Fuji's new EXR sensor (not so new actually, introduced with the F200 last year, the F70 was introduced about 6 months ago). :D Says Fuji, the camera now boasts the ability to record a wider dynamic range (DR) that is closer to what the human eye sees. So I was eager to test this out by taking photos of what I photograph the most, orchids!

The bright sunlight coming through the shade cloth and leaves above presented a nice opportunity to test the camera's strengths against my older Fujifilm F50SE.

Click here to read my quick review and thoughts about the camera.

Below are some samples I took, click on the photos for larger size and refer the EXIF data for more information. Unfortunately, because my third world internet line is crap, I cannot upload full sized files without the upload stalling. Even the uploading of these smaller files stalled a couple of times! But one can see the apparent differences between the different DR settings. Overall, am very happy as I won't have to worry too much about blown highlights when taking quick snaps anymore.

No post processing done except cropping. ISO set to AUTO on both cameras, note that in DR800% mode, the F70EXR will always use ISO200.

First set:


Fujifilm F50SE, no exposure bias.


F70EXR, no exposure bias, DR at 100%


F70EXR, no exposure bias, DR at 400%


F70EXR, no exposure bias, DR at 800%


Second set:


F70EXR, -0.67 EV, DR at 100%


F70EXR, -0.67 EV, DR at 400%


F70EXR, -0.67 EV, DR at 800%


Third set (not much difference because not high contrast scene):


F50SE, no exposure bias


F70EXR, no exposure bias, DR at 100%


F70EXR, no exposure bias, DR at 400%


F70EXR, no exposure bias, DR at 800%


Fourth set:



F50SE, no exposure bias


F70EXR, no exposure bias, DR at 100%


F70EXR, no exposure bias, DR at 400%


F70EXR, no exposure bias, DR at 800%


Fifth set:


F70EXR, no exposure bias, DR at 100%


F70EXR, no exposure bias, DR at 400%


F70EXR, no exposure bias, DR at 800%

From what I've seen from taking more than 1000 photos already in just a few short days, Fuji's much hyped EXR technology, especially when it comes to extended dynamic range (up to a whopping 800%) definitely delivers. The DR800% photos are less "contrasty" but are very useful for tricky scenes such as in the fifth set of photos.

Hope you all enjoyed this simple non scientific post! I have owned a few Fujifilm cameras and this is the best one I've ever owned yet, can you tell I'm happy? LOL I am by no means a fanboy of any particular brand however, since I also use a Nikon D80 and my travel/hiking slr, Olympus e510.

Oh, by the way, if you're interested in this camera, note that Fuji has just announced the F80EXR with HD video but is slightly larger than the F70EXR.

About the orchids, my 1.5 year patience has paid off. Many of the seedlings bought in 2008 are spiking and blooming now. The other seedlings raised from compots shouldn't take too long to spike either. Along with the adult phals, the seedlings add a lot of color to my otherwise all-green shade house. Some are NOIDs, some have ID tags but most are complex hybrids.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...