Thursday, March 31, 2011

From KK to the Tip of Borneo (March 2011)

rice_field_padi_sabah

I was in Sabah recently. The original plan was to visit Maliau Basin but because I had to fly back to Kuching early, I could not make it to Sabah’s Lost World. Since I already had tickets anyway, I flew to Sabah on my own and traveled solo while my friends went to Maliau. I visited Kudat and Simpang Mengayau on my first day, places which I’ve never been to on previous visits to Sabah.

padi_sabah_gunung_kinabalu

rice_field_padi_sabah2

Landed safely and right on time in Kota Kinabalu. Collected my rental shortly after then immediately went on my way. Armed with two GPS units (one a handheld and the other a car navigator), I made my way up north and arrived in Kudat just past noon. the journey took about 4 hours including time spent having breakfast at a road side kopitiam and stopping to take photos.

kota_belud_kudat_sabah_padi

jalan_raya_road_sabah

It’s a fairly smooth ride from KK to Kudat until a certain very long stretch between Kota Belud and Kudat which is particularly bad. So bad signboards have been erected to warn motorists of the dangerous conditions. Several times, my rental went airborne and I wasn't even going that fast! so bad in fact, that I did not take another photo until I had safely arrived in Kudat and checked-in at the hotel! That is why I’ve only got these photos of rice fields to show in this entry. :)

There were also some land slips especially in places where an underground stream runs right under the road. Lots of fearless cattle along the way. They laze about close to the road, some young calves even rest right on the road. Nearly drove into a herd.

Anyway, I must thank God for protecting me this entire trip. it was largely without incident and i had a really fun time.

2 comments:

Ensurai said...

Lovely shots. My friends and I might go around the coast of Sabah by bus next year...see if all of us can come up with the funds that is...time is another factor.

Lovely shots.

sarawaklens said...

Thanks Sarawakiana. That sounds like an interesting plan. I'd love to rent a 4wd or something and drive all around Sabah!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...