Thursday, August 5, 2010

Garden birdwatch I

Recently, I’ve started taking photos of birds I see around the house. Here are some birds photographed in my backyard and garden in recent days (click on the photos for the larger version). Because the birds are often far away or high up in trees, each photo was cropped to center on the subject and sharpened where necessary.

 

Oriental_magpie_robin

A pair of oriental magpie robins (Copsychus saularis; Malay name: burung murai). The one on the right has a grub or grasshopper in its beak which it fed to the bird on the left. 1/500s f/5.6 ISO 400 450mm equiv.

 

Oriental_magpie_robin2

I guess they are a nesting pair? Which is the male and which is the female? Or is this a parent and a juvenile? 1/500s f/5.6 ISO 400 450mm equiv.

 

Asian_glossy_starling

Asian glossy starlings (Aplonis panayensis) are one of the most common birds to visit my garden and trees. When my Engkala (Litsea garciae) trees are fruiting, a big flock of them will often be seen feeding on the fruits even before they ripen. They also like to feed on ripe papayas still on the tree.

 

Sunbird

A lone sunbird chirping away and preening in between songs.

 

yellow_vented_bulbul2

Yellow-vented bulbul (Pycnonotus goiavier) feeding on the fruits of a small tree-shrub.

 

yellow_vented_bulbul

Yellow vented bulbuls often fly into my orchid shade house and visit each mount or pot looking for grub. Sometimes a bird will even fight with its own image in my tinted windows thinking there’s another bird in there! This was taken with my Olympus e510 but I absentmindedly left the ISO setting at 1600 resulting in a noisy picture.

 

Common_myna

Common mynas (Acridotheres tristis).

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...