Thursday, January 5, 2012

Kuching hit by flash floods

It started raining late last night. I had the windows shut tight and the AC on so I didn’t realize it was raining outside until the rain got very heavy and loud around 10:30pm. It continued to rain nonstop till morning. My house being on high ground was not affected.

In fact, we didn’t suspect anything amiss (since it’s rained continuously in the past before but no flash floods) until we logged onto the Internet and started receiving messages from friends and relatives.By 9am, I was seeing photos pop up all over the net showing parts of the city under water. All this happened after about 12 hours of rain.

Berat mata memandang, berat lagi bahu yang memikul! 

In the past, continuous rain didn’t necessarily mean serious flooding. I remember in 2008 and in 2010 it rained continuously for days (I even blogged about it, just search my blog) but no flash floods as serious as today’s!
Perhaps it’s because of the king tide today? Or maybe it’s because of rising sea levels and climate change?


Maybe a combination of natural causes as well as the work of human beings; rubbish-clogged drains do not allow water to flow smoothly and silt in rivers cause them to become shallow and unable to hold much water without spilling over.

Before the lunar year arrives, I suspect more rain will fall… everyone take care and be careful out there!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...