Monday, December 14, 2009

Pholidota imbricata

Pholidota_imbricata_6
Pholidota imbricata is a widespread species which I often find in limestone forests. The flowers aren’t really that showy compared to the closely related Coelogyne but it can still put on quite a show with multiple inflorescences. The small cute little flowers in the above photo look like little martian men!

Pholidota_imbricata_3
It is actually quite an easy species in my experience. Not demanding and will easily put out new roots when re-potted or shifted to a different mount.

Pholidota_imbricata_2
The flowers appear a few times a year. Each flowering period, a large clump may put out several inflorescences which appear from the base of a new pseudo-bulb.

Pholidota_imbricata_4
This is my plant which I grow mounted on a piece of iron wood with coconut husk as padding and to provide moisture.

Pholidota_imbricata_5
Photographed in situ, growing on limestone. It is quite tolerant to dry periods and I have never had any trouble with mine during the rainy season either.

Pholidota_imbricata_1
Also found as an epiphyte on trees. I have found this species growing very close to the ground on the base of trunks as well. This photo was taken with my camera phone so the quality is poor.

Pholidota_imbricata_7
Here is a small juvenile Wagler’s Pit Viper resting and waiting for prey on a Pholidota leaf. For more photos, as usual, please head to my Flickr.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...