Saturday, December 3, 2011

Small herb with minty roots (wintergreen)

minty_herb2

I do not know the actual name of this small herb but I’ve heard it called “wintergreen” before, perhaps because its roots give off a strong but pleasant minty smell.

(See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wintergreen)

It’s a rather common herb which grows in the lowlands as well as the highlands; I’ve found in growing along busy roads and in disturbed, open areas sometimes covering large patches like a prolific weed. I’ve also found in growing in Mesilau, Kinabalu National Park (Sabah).

minty_herb_wintergreen_like
The herb growing in Mesilau, Kinabalu National Park (Sabah).

If you see one growing in your backyard, uproot it and give the roots a sniff, you'll be pleasantly surprised by the nice minty smell.

I’d love to know the real name and scientific name, if anyone knows, do leave a comment or send me a note. I wonder if it has any medicinal properties…

minty_herb3
Here it is growing in a disturbed area together with a terrestrial orchid, Eulophia graminea, which is sometimes known as the football field orchid as it used to be easy to find it in open fields and even along roads.

~end~

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...